Thursday, November 8, 2012

JerseyLove

When I moved to Georgia in 2000, I was hurting. I just came off a five year relationship where I gave my everything. I never took the time to get me together. I found myself in multiple "friendships". One of which was a man from NJ who had a live in girlfriend. His name was Chris. He was tall. 6'2. Light brown. Bald head. Goatee. Dimples. Athletic and he represented home. Common-esque. He was a breath of fresh air. He was fitted caps and wheat colored timberlands.. Cool browns, beiges and blues... He was real hip hop. He was home. I loved his talk. His walk. His swag (for a lack of a better word). I loved how he called me Queen and treated me as such. (Funny, since he had a "queen" at home) I loved how he took care of me and made sure I was okay. I loved that he would come by my place or call me just to check on me. I loved how he took care of me even when I didn't need it... I also, loved him. I wasn't suppposed to fall for him but I did.. How could I not? In my mind, he represented peace, tranquility and security...while he was with me. I never thought about his woman at home...while he was with me. I never thought about his kid at home....while he was with me. I never thought about her wondering where he was when he was with me... that didn't matter...while he was with me. I only wondered about those things in the middle of the night when I was alone. I wondered about those things on my drive to and from work. I would even look for his truck, a black Expedition. I joined the gym he went to just so I could "bump" into him.. I never did. I "found out" where he worked and would sit outside his job... I would call him on his job.. I started to make it difficult for him and me. I became obsessed. I found his address online. I found his home number. Called once and she answered. I hung up. I never went to his house but always wanted to. I never went Glenn Close or anything like that.. Somewhere in my mind, I KNEW I wasn't THAT crazy! I just wanted to be with him at any cost or at all costs... Simply, becuz he reminded me of home... or what home represented for me. That relationship lasted almost a year and it was hard for me to let go. I did eventually but still wonder how he is doing. I know he has since moved out of state and is now married to the live in girlfriend. I also knew that I would never be the other woman again...or so I thought.

6 comments:

  1. The first thing that comes to mind when reading this is a line from the movie "Brown Sugar". "He was the perfect verse, over a tight beat."

    I love your honesty.

    ~JerseyGirl Rock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully written....captured from the first sentence. Been on both sides of that fence :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its not often that on the journey of self exploration that we allow ourselves to become transparent. It's natural for our inhibitions to prevent us from being open with our feelings, especially when we open ourselves up to show Love and pain. Good job JustMe. The writing process is both informative and cathartic if we allow what's within to be explored and shared. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete