Tuesday, February 13, 2018

ThePoet

I’m not a power to the people, black power, raised fist type poet
Im not a Stokeley Carmichael,
Huey P Newton,
Angela Davis or..
Malcolm X type poet
Im not a Gil Scott-Heron,
the revolution will not be televised type poet
Because I am not a revolutionary
However I wish I were...
Sometimes
I wish I could spew facts about police brutality,
cite statistics about racial injustice,
and the killing of unarmed black men and women Remember,
Sandra Bland
Decynthia Clements
I wish I could bring up every name of every person of color that was killed by the police
Like the young lady in Baltimore..
Y'all remember her..
Korryn Gaines.
She barricaded herself and her five year old son in her apartment
And 5-0 kicked in her door guns blazing
killing her and injuring her son
I wish I could remember more names other than the ones in the news..
Like Trayvon Martin,
Tamir Rice,
Freddie Gray,
Philando Castille,
Eric Gardner,
Terence Crutcher,
 Mike Brown
Or the boah selling cd’s outside the store in Louisiana  Alton Sterling..
no charges filed and countless others...
like Linus Phillip Jr,
killed in Forida during traffic stop
because the windows on his rental was too dark or...
Stephon Clark...
who was shot 8 times in the back as he ran to the back of his grandmothers house while holding his cell phone...
As they stood over his body concocting their lies of being in fear for their lives
I wish I was more in tuned with the struggle that I would dare to be natural,
but ayo.. Im a creamy crack kinda girl..
Im like Pookie from New Jack when it comes to relaxer...
It be calling me man...
I need that white stuff on my edges, on my roots, burning my scalp and overprocessing my tresses...
My shit gotta be smooth.. straight.. laid..
You know that saying, fried, dyed and laid to the side or something like that...
But Im not..
I am not a revolutionary
I am a love type poet
The type poet whose heart pours into her words and spills out her mouth and makes her put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard
That wears her heart on her sleeve type poet
Thats in love with love type poet
Thats always wondering where he at type poet
Thats steady screaming of love, broken hearts, rainbows, and unicorns and shit type poet
But if I was..
A revolutionary...
I would damn sure be an African flag flying,
 big black afro having,
 bamboo earrings,
wooden necklaces,
peace signs,
 daishiki wearing,
marching til my combat boots fall apart
all the while screaming
no justice no peace
with a tightly closed fist raised in the air,
until the heavens opened up...
and our slain,
 lynched,
assassinated,
murdered,
forever gone
but not forgotten ancestors
who paved the way rains down and says
It is done, My Child..
But until then,
 I'll be a love preaching,
steady seeking, a
lways wondering where he at,
broken heart fixer,
rainbows and unicorns and shit..
type poet...
Because Im not a revolutionary....

Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment